Friday, December 23, 2011

All I want for Christmas is the Playoffs?

Christmas is coming, and I must say up until today I just wasn't really in the full Christmas spirit. Usually I'm putting up loads of decorations, humming Christmas carols and songs, hoping for piles of crisp white snow so that on Christmas morning, I will get a cup of hot cocoa and enjoy the morning as the little pink lions see what Santa has brought them as the monorails glide around the tree and the chimneys drift light colored smoke into the cool winter air.

We have red and green monorails gliding around our tree.  Notice the Lions Santa hat in the background

Not sure what it was, but it seems to have struck me today  -- and even as it did I realize one thing that has never really been on my mind in a very long time at this point in the year is the NFL playoffs.  Most of the time, the Christmas weekend games I would tape the Lions, and then watch it later.  After all, it usually had no meaning in the grand scheme.  All of a sudden, this year I could get an extra present on Christmas -- The Lions clinching a playoff spot!

I'm not really great at the prediction business -- and I feel this game against the Chargers could fall anywhere from a solid loss to a solid win.  I just don't see either team getting blown out -- but then again, I said the same thing about the Lions at Chicago game and look what happened. 

Win or Lose, the Lions have already exceeded my expecatations for accomplishment, but more importantly, they have provided spectacular games to watch all season!! I expect no less Saturday night. 

Keep in mind that even though the Lions are on TV it is Christmas eve and be sure to keep what is most important -- family, friends -- in the forefront and even if the Lions lose, don't let it ruin your holiday spirit.  After all, there are two games left to get one win -- and after breaking every other bad record that has been overshadowing them for years, maybe the Lambeau curse is next...

Merry Christmas everyone!!

DetFan1979

No comments: